The Object of the Series
The object of the Series is to help teachers, especially those engaged in primary schools, in their own study for examinations, and in their teaching. The commonest question asked by teachers is, ' What book do you recommend? ' These books are a practical answer to that question.
For Pupil-teachers and Students in Training Colleges, such information will be gathered together as those who have been conversant with the work for a long time have found to be most necessary and helpful.
A prominent feature of the books is the scheme for Lessons, which, it is hoped, will guide teachers in impressing upon the minds of the young the spiritual, doctrinal, and practical points which it is their object to impress. A great difftculty of teachers, even of those who know their subjects well, is to see exactly the points that will be of use to learners, points to be impressed, not only upon their minds, but upon their lives.
For those who want to go more deeply into matters, there are additional notes upon matters that the teacher should know but need not teach: for the teacher must know a great deal more than he teaches.
A new series of mere commentaries is not wanted, considering the many excellent works that already exist, but there are few books at present which look at the subject from the teacher's point of view. These volumes are designed to help both to teach and to learn, but especially the former.
In Rivingtons' Bible Handbooks the correct translation of the text will be carefully attended to; in the Prayer Book, the lessons taught by the history of Christian religion aud thought will be dwelt upon.
RIVINGTONS: 34 King Street, Covent Garden, London
- The First Volume of the Pentatuech. The Creation to the Delierance from Egypt - H.C. Batterbury
- The Second Volume of the Pentatuech. The Departure of Egypt to the Death of Moses - H.C. Batterbury
- Joshua - George Henry Somerset Walpole [1854-1929]
- Judges and Ruth - George Henry Somerset Walpole [1854-1929]
- The History of the Hebrew Monarchy: Vol. 1: From the Birth of Samuel to the Accession of Solomon - A.R. Whitham [1863-1930]
- The Captivity: Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah & Esther - G.W. Garrod
- Matthew - W.C.E. Newbolt
- Mark - F.L.H. Millard
- Luke - Morley Stevenson
- John - G.W. Daniell
- Acts - Bernard Reynolds